M-GLS Frequently Asked Questions

You can find out everything you need to know about the M-GLS and how it affects you here.

If you know the specific area that you are interested in knowing more about you can skip straight to it by clicking on one of the below.

Implementation of the M-GLS

Q: When is Motorcycle Graduated Licensing System (M-GLS) being implemented?

A: To minimise impact on the motorcycle provider business, motorcycle GLS will be implemented in two phases, metropolitan and regional. Metropolitan Melbourne and Geelong will be implemented on 19 March 2016 and regional Victoria by 2 April 2016.

Q: I live in metropolitan Victoria. Can I do the old assessment in a regional training centre before the new assessment is implemented in regional Victoria?

A: Yes you can subject to availability but the new training and assessment will better prepare you for the road so you should give it a go and not avoid it. You might be surprised how much you learn and enjoy it.

Back to Top

Transition to the M-GLS

Q: Can an applicant who holds a current motorcycle learner permit and resides in metropolitan Victoria, complete the existing motorcycle licence assessment in rural Victoria before 2 April 2016?

A: Yes providing there are available appointments with the accredited motorcycle provider.

Q: Will there be any new conditions applied to the motorcycle learner permit or licence as a result of motorcycle GLS assessments?

A: No. The change is only to the motorcycle training and assessment and does not include any new conditions.

Q: I only want to be trained and tested on an automatic scooter can I still do this?

A: Yes. The new Motorcycle GLS assessments cover automatic scooters.

Q: Will the new GLS impact riders with a motorcycle licence issued before 19 March 2016?

A: No.

Q: Will riders be required to hold their motorcycle learner permit for a longer period of 3 months and less than 15 months after the new GLS is introduced?

A: No, the period of holding a learner permit will not change. The maximum period for a learner permit will remain at 15 months and the minimum holding period will remain at three months however if the motorcycle learner permit was issued on or after 2 April 2016 the riders must complete the Check Ride before they can sit the motorcycle licence test.

Q: What happens if my motorcycle licence or learner permit is not current when the changes are implemented? What assessments do I need to do?

If your motorcycle learner permit has expired you will be required to undertake all the training and assessments of the new motorcycle GLS. If your motorcycle licence has expired by less than five years you can renew you licence without a Motorcycle Licence Assessment. If you licence has expired by more than five years you will need to sit the Motorcycle Licence Assessment.

Back to Top

Motorcycle Assessments Under the GLS (General)

Q: What will the training for novice riders look like and how long will it take?

A: The training for novice rides includes the Learner Permit Assessment (LPA) and Check Ride. The LPA training will include a two day learner course including the practical and class training. The practical training will include off road range exercises as well as on road training. At the end of day one, the applicant will be required to pass the motorcycle knowledge test in order to progress to day two. At the end of day two applicants will be assessed including the off road range part as well as an on road part.
The Check Ride will take a day and is aimed at reinforcing and extending safe riding skills and behaviours taught on the motorcycle learner permit course. The Check Ride must be completed one month before the Motorcycle Licence Assessment.

Q: Why is it necessary to be assessed off road for the learner permit and licence if I am already assessed on road?

A: The off road range assessment allows for you to be assessed in some critical tasks in a safe environment.

Q: Why is it necessary to be assessed on road for the learner permit and licence?

A: The on road assessment will confirm that you have the necessary operational skills to control and manoeuvre a motorcycle safely in real traffic and typical road conditions.

Q: I am already being trained by a motorcycle training provider, why make the motorcycle GLS training compulsory?

A: The current training is not consistent across Victoria and the new curriculum will provide consistent and more effective training for all riders. Riders will now be able to compare providers and make an informed choice knowing that the training program they will receive will be identical. As a compulsory requirement, VicRoads will also be able to better audit training delivery to ensure a consistent program is provided to the community.

Q: Can I use my own motorcycle for motorcycle GLS training?

A: You must use a motorcycle provided by the training organisation when undertaking the Motorcycle Learner Assessment. You can use your own motorcycle (except motor trikes) for the Check Ride and Motorcycle Licence Assessment as long as it’s in a road worthy condition and registered for road usage however confirm with your training provider first.

Q: Can I do extra training in addition to the compulsory training course?

A: The training providers are professional organisations who offer a range of training activities and will be able to assist you with complementary and further training. This would not be part of VicRoads compulsory training.

Q: How long is each assessment valid for before I need to be retested?

A: Successfully completed assessments are valid only for 12 months.

Back to Top

Motorcycle Learner Permit Assessment

Q: Why do I need to sit the learner permit course when I have been riding a bike for years off road and am experienced car driver? Why cannot I sit a test alone?

A: Crash analysis shows that novice riders are over represented in crashes even those who hold a car licence. As well research identified a number of factors associated with the significant increase of crash risk for motorcyclists; one of these is being an experienced off-road rider before gaining an on-road licence. VicRoads is of the view that the new compulsory training and testing will provide this group with an appropriate level of training for on-road riding. However, as part of the evaluation of the Motorcycle GLS further analysis will be undertaken to confirm whether the new training is appropriate for this group.

Q: Why is the learner permit course now longer?

A: There was no consistent motorcycle training in Victoria which has led to poor training outcomes for motorcycle riders. The new learner permit course has been designed to extend the current emphasis on basic skills in vehicle handling to higher-order skills, including awareness, judgment and decision making.

Q: Can I do the training and assessment on different days for my learner permit?

A: The training and assessment is a single activity that generally occurs over two days. The training providers may deliver this also over four days so it is best to contact your preferred training provider to ask how they are delivering the training. The practical assessment occurs at the end of the training.

Q: If I fail the motorcycle knowledge test, do I need to repeat the training course day one again?

A: The provider should give you an opportunity to re-sit the knowledge test on the day or the start of the next day. If you fail the second attempt, you will not be able to continue with day two training. You must past the knowledge test within seven days from commencing the training in order to progress to day 2. If you don’t pass this test within this timeframe you will need to repeat the training course from the beginning.

Q: If I fail the Learner Permit Assessment (off road or on road), do I need to repeat the training course again?

A: You will need to repeat only the second day of the training which includes the assessment at the end. Repeating this part of the training will make sure you have remembered the key messages before being assessed again.

Back to Top

Check Rides

Q: When do I have to undertake the Check Ride?

A: Anyone issued with a motorcycle permit on or after the 2 April 2016 will be required to sit 

Q: What is the Check Ride and how long will it take?

A: The Check Ride is review of your skills with the ride on the road and a group debrief afterwards. It provides an opportunity for learner to obtain additional training and advice during the high risk stage. Discussions will include on-road tactics and strategies and your progress of safe riding skills and behaviours. If you have misunderstandings about on-road riding, you will be provided with an opportunity to discuss. The Check Ride will take around 3.5 hours plus times for breaks and will be conducted in a group with up to five other people so you can all share your riding experience.

Q: Why is a Check Ride included as part of the learner phase?

A: During the learner phase, a learner is unsupervised unlike car learners. The Check Ride provides an opportunity for learner to obtain additional training and advice during this high risk stage.

Q: How long is my Check Ride valid for?

A: The Check Ride will be valid for the period of the motorcycle learner permit which is 15 months (aligned with the date of learner permit expiry date). If you obtain a new learner permit you will be required to undertake a new Check Ride after it has been issued and at least one month before you sit for you licence assessment.

Q: What is the minimum time period between getting a learner permit and completing the Check Ride?

A: There is no minimum period after the issue of a learner permit but it needs to be successfully completed one month before the appointment for a motorcycle licence test. However, to get the most out of this additional training you should undertake some riding and then attend a training provider to undertake the Check Ride. This approach will help you reinforce the information from the learner assessment.

Q: What is the maximum time allowed between completing the Check Ride and attempting the licence assessment?

A: The maximum period would be 14 months. The learner period minus 1 month as the Check Ride must be completed a month before the Motorcycle Licence Assessment.

Q: Can you complete multiple check rides?

A: There is only a single Check Ride required. If you want additional training you can contact a motorcycle training provider who will be able to assist you with additional training options.

Q: How are Check Rides tracked?

A: When you finish a Check Ride you will be given a Certificate of Completion by the training provider. You will need to keep this and produce it when you attend to sit your licence assessment. If you lose the certificate, and you go to another training provider to be assessed for your licence you will need to ask for a letter from them providing proof you completed the Check Ride. If you go to the same training provider they will already have proof of your completion of the Check Ride.

Q: Can I complete the Check Ride at one training provider and undertake the Motorcycle Licence Assessment with another provider?

A: Yes you can. You will receive a Certificate of Completion for the Check Ride by the training provider. You will need to present this when you attend to sit your Motorcycle Licence Assessment with another training provider.

Back to Top

Motorcycle Licence Assessments

Q: What will the licence assessment look like and how long will it take?

A: The Motorcycle Licence Assessment will be completed in two parts, as an off road and on road assessment. The off road range assessment will assess your ability to ride through curves, change paths, brake and ride slowly. On the road you will assessed on your observation of the road, speed management, road positioning, application of road rules and motorcycle control. The Motorcycle Licence Assessment (both parts) will take approximately one hour.

Q: How many assessments do I need to do before I obtain a motorcycle licence?

A: To obtain a motorcycle licence you will need to obtain a learner permit which involves and off road range assessment and an on road assessment. You will also be required to undertake a Motorcycle Licence Assessment which is also in two parts, off road and on road.

Q: If I fail the licence assessment, can I re-attempt it again on the same day?

A: You can as long as the training provider has the time to undertake a new test. It might be best to wait a week or so to allow for some more practice on those areas where you failed and to ensure you are fresh when you undertake the assessment.

Back to Top

Overseas Riders

Q: How do the changes affect overseas drivers and riders wanting to obtain a Victorian motorcycle learner permit or licence?

A: Overseas drivers who have never held a motorcycle licence will have to do the same motorcycle training and assessment as Victorians - Motorcycle Learner Assessment, Check Ride and Motorcycle Licence Assessment. Overseas learner permits are not recognised in Victoria.

If you hold an overseas motorcycle licence and you are from a recognised country you can convert that licence without any motorcycle assessment.

If you hold an overseas licence from a non-recognised country you will be required to undertake:

  • Car knowledge test - (unless they hold an Australian licence or permit)
  • Motorcycle Permit Assessment
  • Motorcycle knowledge test
  • Hazard Perception Test (unless they hold an Australian licence or permit)
  • Check Ride
  • Motorcycle Licence Assessment.


Q: If my Victorian motorcycle licence has expired by more than 5 years, and I do not hold a currently interstate or overseas motorcycle licence, what do I need to do?

You need to:

  • Car knowledge test - (unless they hold an Australian licence or permit)
  • Motorcycle Permit Assessment
  • Motorcycle knowledge test
  • Check Ride
  • Motorcycle Licence Assessment
Back to Top

Personal Protective Clothing

Q: What to wear at the training? 

A: Your provider will advise this but generally you will need full skin cover. The clothing can be anything as long as it covers all exposed skin. You must wear gloves, long pants, long sleeve top, eye protection (helmet visors acceptable), full cover footwear and hi-vis top.

Q: Where can I get a helmet and gloves?

A: The training provider will provide gloves and a helmet for you but if you already have your own you can use them.

Back to Top
Questions? Call us on 03 9464 6464 or Request a Booking